F-1 student visa holders must be enrolled in a departmental internship practicum or clinical class to count as Curricular Practical Training (CPT) per US Department of Homeland Security, Office of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Curricular Practical Training is a temporary work authorization directly related to an F-1 student’s academic program for which the work counts towards completion of a degree. The work performed must be directly related to the student’s major field of study.
International Students must follow the steps listed below in order to be considered for an internship:
- F-1 International students must register and gain approval for their departmental practicum/clinical class within their area of study.
- Students must complete a Request for Curricular Practical Training Form and a Curricular Practical Training Application.
- Students then return the CPT Request form and the CPT Application to the International Student Office for creation of CPT approved I-20.
- Students must have the CPT employment verification form completed and signed before the start of the semester. Employment cannot begin until all steps have been completed and all forms signed by the employer and department. (Please notify our offices as special attention will need to be given to these employment placements as ordinarily, students are not placed until the beginning of the semester)
- Students may need to obtain a Social Security number from the US Social Security Administration, if the internship is paid or if required by the employer. See locations below.
All of the above mentioned forms may be obtained at the International Student office at the Riverside and Round Rock Campuses or you may find them listed below:
Local Social Security Offices
Austin/Oak Hill Social Security Administration
BLDG B 5508 HWY 290 WEST
Austin, TX – 78735
Austin Social Security Administration Office
1029 Camino La Costa
Austin, TX – 78752
Georgetown Social Security Administration Office
104 Parkview Dr
Georgetown, TX – 78626